FAQs or Quick Facts on North Benton Ambulance (NBA):
• NBA is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit as designated by the IRS
• Our services are accredited by the Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of EMS.
• All our funding comes from revenue generated by transporting patients or donations. NBA receives no federal or state tax money. The city of Vinton chooses to provide $1 per resident each year, or about $5,000.
• Our coverage area includes Vinton, Garrison, Mt. Auburn, Van Horne, Benton City and Brandon (Buchanan County). We also provide mutual aid services to Shellsburg, Urbana and Newhall, and Benton County townships.
• Our equipment includes two Advanced Life Support-equipped ambulances, automated and enhanced ventilators, a mechanical CPR device and cardiac monitors capable of identifying heart attacks and transmitting vital data to any hospital.
• We have one ambulance staffed and ready to go 24/7, 365 days a year. Our second ambulance is used as a back-up unit for any other calls received while the other ambulance is on call.
• Our providers are committed members of our extended community with long-time service with NBA; several have been with NBA for more than 10 years.
Mission & Goals
Since 1975, NBA has been protecting/enhancing community welfare through our commitment to providing first-rate, immediate medical care and swift, safe transportation to the appropriate healthcare facilities.
We continually work to advance our education and improve and/or expand our equipment to remain at the forefront of emergency care. EMS providers are required to attend at least 72 hours of continuing education, plus renew their EMS credentials every two years.